Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Before-School Scarf


This morning there was a sense of excitement in the air. It was 7 am and my husband was already out on a strategic mission of sign placement at a local voting establishment. I was in a hurry to get ready, so I threw on my fall uniform - brown cords and a brown turtleneck. Since it is voting day, and since I am HOPEFUL that CHANGE will happen, I decided a lucky little scarf would dress up the outfit. I pulled out a quarter yard piece of silky fabric that I had been meaning to turn into a scarf - but never sat down and did it - and I decided that there is no time like the present.

I took the quarter yard piece and folded it in half longways with right sides together. I ironed the crease and then sewed up the raw edges. I left the raw edges on either side unsewn. I turned the scarf so that right sides were out, ironed so that the seam was in the middle back and then sewed up either end by ironing under 1/4 edge at an angle.




I finished this in just under 10 minutes, in between making lunches for school, getting school clothes out of the dryer and fixing my computer that had crashed (don't ask!)When I have a little more time, I will sew on some sort of edging at either end. I am thinking either beads or a nice ribbon (Velvet?)...

On the topic of scarves, do you remember a "dickey"? (Am I aging myself?) A dickey is a type of false shirt-front - like a turtleneck with a body that covers the neck area but with no sleeves or body. Recently, I have been revisiting the idea of dickies. Since the East Coast weather where I live just doesn't get too cold anymore, you need something to keep the exposed part of your neck warm without the bulk and warmth of a heavy sweater or scarf. The modern version of a dickey is now called a "neckwarmer".

Jared Flood recently designed a pattern for the "Stormy Morningside Neckwarmer" for Classic Elite Yarns. I drew two male names for our family Christmas gift swap and thought this just might fit the bill.


The "women's slouchy" version is pretty sweet too. I think I'm going to have to get my knitting needles out and start some holiday knitting. What a perfect way to watch those votes come in to night. Let's HOPE it turns out for the best!

No comments: