Tuesday, February 23, 2010

flare

"A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows "

— St Francis of Assisi

One of my favorite things to photograph is white tulips. The simple beauty that they exude is a dream for me. I bought a bunch at Trader Joes last week for the bargain price of $4.99. By placing them on the dining room table, they caught the light from our windows perfectly. One of the tulips lost a petal, which gave an interesting view to the inside of the flower. The subtle flare of the sunlight (late day) coming in and hitting the tulips was too good to pass up.

untitled (1 of 3).jpg

I used my Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens because it works so well in low light. It was definitely the right choice for this group of shots.

untitled (2 of 3).jpg

I really love to use monochrome with white tulips and tend to process them in sepia or black and white. I actually thought about throwing on a texture in Photoshop Elements (and tried it on the top version), but felt that this was one of those situations where "less is more". Sometimes subtle restraint takes a photo to the next level....

untitled (3 of 3).jpg

No comments: