Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dotee Doll Swap

Recently I joined a swap for Dotee dolls.  Happily, this one came in the mail to me from Brandy.  She named her Carla.  Dotee dolls are tiny, handmade cloth dolls (4 to 6 inches).  They have a circular face that can be drawn with markers, embroidered or even painted.  The stuffed doll usually has a hanger made out of ribbon or beads, and a beaded tail (or legs).  The stuffed doll is embellished with beads, ribbon, sequins, yarn...just about anything.  I believe that the craze was started by Dot.  There are lots of tutorials online to help you get started.  There is a video tutorial here and a nice pattern here.  Once you have made a few dolls, you can start swapping!  There are so many swaps on swap-bot.   And, there are lots of pictures on flickr.  I made one for swap as well, but am waiting to post until it is received by its new owner.  
Another fun thing that I like about the swaps on Swap-bot, is the packages usually contain a few "extras".  In addition to the doll, Brandy included a cute, handmade card and a little magnet.  How thoughtful!

1 comment:

Iowa Sunshine said...

Hi Mattie! I got your dotee. Wow! Just what i wanted, an easter bunny! I love it. Thank you so much! I'll be sending you a little something soon. =) I put your doll on my blog here. I'm iowa sunshine. HUGS